Fishing for a way to cut your tether to technology?
Leave the phone and the email behind, and embrace nature’s majesty in western North Carolina. The roar of a cascading waterfall, the view from a mountain summit, or a nostalgic journey through picturesque towns can rejuvenate the soul and refresh the spirit.
Located in the midst of the Great Smoky Mountains, Jackson County is famous for its unspoiled natural beauty. Home to the Western North Carolina Fly Fishing Trail, the county boasts 4,600 miles of streams. Outdoor enthusiasts can also find rafting, hiking, camping, golfing and skiing within a few miles of each other.
Visitors can experience the charm of friendly mountain towns such as Sylva, Dillsboro and Cashiers. Their rich Appalachian traditions are on display at art exhibits and craft fairs. Other cultural attractions include seasonal festivals, outdoor concerts, fine dining and boutique shopping.
Only 50 miles from Asheville and just hours from Cary, Jackson County offers city-dwellers a convenient escape to the mountains — and a convenient excuse to disconnect and relax.
- Jackson County’s official website. discoverjacksonnc.com
- High Hampton Inn. 1525 Highway 107 S., Cashiers, (800) 334-2551, highhamptoninn.com
- Best Western Plus River Escape Inn and Suites. 248 WBI Drive, Dillsboro, (828) 586-6060, bestwesternnorthcarolina.com/hotels/best-western-plus-river-escape-inn-and-suites
- AB’s Fly Fishing Guide Service. (828) 226-3833, abfish.org
- Smoky Mountain River Adventures. 5036 Highway 74, Whittier, (888) 785-2662, smokymountainriveradventures.com
- Haywood Smokehouse. 403 Haywood Road, Dillsboro, (828) 631-9797, haywoodsmokehouse.com
- The Library Kitchen and Bar. 184 Cherokee Trail, Sapphire, (828) 743-5512, librarykitchenandbar.com
- Guadalupe Café. 606 West Main St., Sylva, (828) 586-9877, guadalupecafe.com
- City Lights Café. 3 East Jackson St., Sylva, (828) 587-2233, citylightscafe.com
- Innovation Brewing. 414 West Main St., Sylva, (828) 586-9678, innovation-brewing.com