More than 100 evergreen trees bearing thousands of ornaments and miles of lights, ribbons and fresh garlands mark the extravagant celebration happening at Biltmore through Jan. 6. It’s a time travel of sorts, to the holiday celebrations of George Vanderbilt and family, who first opened their new home to guests on Christmas Eve 1895.
Biltmore’s design team has incorporated this year’s theme, The Art of Christmas, throughout every element created for the season, taking inspiration from both individual pieces of artwork in the house as well as places that Vanderbilt traveled to collect artwork. Inside the 250-room Biltmore House, a towering 35-foot-tall Fraser fir tree laden with ornaments and wrapped packages tucked into its branches serves as the seasonal centerpiece.
In the poinsettia-filled Conservatory, guests can attend daily seminars that provide tips on holiday décor. At Antler Hill Village & Winery, guests may enjoy free tastings of Biltmore wines. Biltmore Winery is decorated with 7,000 globe-shaped ornaments hanging from the ceiling — giving guests the feeling of being inside a bottle of sparkling wine.
For evening visitors, Candlelight Christmas Evenings in Biltmore House allow guests to step back in time with an experience more like Vanderbilt’s guests had in 1895. Musicians stationed throughout the house perform seasonal favorites. Setting the scene is a 55-foot Norway spruce sparkling in the center of the front lawn and surrounded by 35 illuminated evergreens. Luminaries line the walkway to the house. Candlelight tours are by reservation only.
Guests may enjoy the entire estate as part of admission. For tickets, reservations, and more information, visit Biltmore.com/visit.
Christmas at Biltmore features the following holiday activities and events:
- Through Jan. 6, daily: Christmas at Biltmore daytime experience
- Through Jan. 5, nightly: Candlelight Christmas experience
- Through Jan. 6, daily, 5:30 p.m.-midnight: Illumination of Antler Hill Village
- Through Dec. 31, daily, 1:30 p.m.: A Gardener’s Place seminar “Nature-Inspired Holiday Tablescapes”
- Through Jan. 6, daily: Conservatory’s annual seasonal display
- Through Jan. 6, daily: Complimentary wine tasting at Biltmore Winery. Specialty tours are available with additional price and reservations required.
- Through Jan. 5, Fridays and Saturdays, 6 and 7 p.m.: Candlelight winery tour with an intimate look into the winemaking process and tasting with light cheese pairing. Additional price and reservations required
- Through Jan. 5, Fridays and Saturdays, 3-7:30 p.m.: Roving holiday carolers in Antler Hill Village
- Through Jan. 5, Select dates, 3-10 p.m.: Bonfires in Antler Hill Village with s’mores kits available for purchase at The Creamery