The holiday season is a time to gather with family and friends to sing carols and exchange gifts. But for many seniors in our community, these activities aren’t possible. They might live alone, without someone to share this special time.
Through the Be a Santa to a Senior program, sponsored by Home Instead Senior Care, community members can help brighten an older person’s day with a holiday gift. Since 2003, the Be a Santa to a Senior program has mobilized more than 60,000 volunteers, provided approximately 1.2 million gifts and brightened the season for more than 700,000 seniors nationwide.
“The Be a Santa to a Senior program is all about including seniors in the joy of the holiday season,” said Nancy Foss, program coordinator. “A simple gift shows them they are a loved and vital member of our community.”
Last year, 415 Triangle seniors – 232 of them in Cary – received gifts, and organizers hope to do the same this year. The program’s success depends on the generous support of Raleigh businesses, nonprofits, retailers and volunteers.
It’s easy to help. Visit a participating business and look for the Be a Santa to a Senior tree on display through Thursday, Dec. 5. Each tree will be decorated with ornaments featuring seniors’ first names and gift suggestions. Holiday shoppers can choose an ornament, buy the requested gift and return it to the store with the ornament attached. Volunteers and program partners will wrap and deliver the gifts to seniors in time for the holidays.
“While it may seem like a small act of kindness, it can really make a difference for someone this holiday season,” said Foss. “Watching seniors open the gifts they received through Be a Santa to a Senior and seeing the smiles and appreciation on their faces is one of my favorite parts of the holiday season.”
For more information about the program, visit BeaSantatoaSenior.com.
Be a Santa to a Senior trees can be found at the following locations:
- Starbucks, 2840 NC 55
- Starbucks, 3608 Davis Drive
- Trinity Partners, 3020 Carrington Mill Blvd.
- Trinity Partners, 3005 Carrington Mill Blvd.
- Trinity Partners, 3800 Paramount Parkway
- Trinity Partners, 1025 Think Place
- Nay Orthodontics, 6406 McCrimmon Parkway, Suite 240
- Starbucks, 180 Cabela Drive
- Brier Creek Orthodontics, 10411 Moncrieffe Road, Suite 105A
- Starbucks, 9630 Falls of Neuse Road
- Starbucks, 6282 Glenwood Ave.
- Starbucks, 7498 Creedmoor Road
- Starbucks, 9441 Strickland Road
- Starbucks, 6176 Falls of Neuse Road
- Starbucks, 2815 Rogers Road
- Culver’s, 2819 Rogers Road
- Carillion Assisted Living of Wake Forest, 3218 Heritage Trade Road