Cary Magazine Gives Back

By Cary Magazine

Voting for Cary Magazine Gives Back is closed. Thank you for voting and helping us select a great charity to partner with in 2013. We're excited about this opportunity to help those in need in Western Wake.

Each organization will be notified individually regarding the results. Stay tuned for the January issue of Cary Magazine to learn more about the winner.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to be the first to find out who won!

The Carying Place
The Carying Place teaches homeless, “doubled up” or otherwise inadequately housed working families with children life skills for independent living while providing short-term housing and support.
www.thecaryingplace.org

Horse & Buddy
Horse & Buddy gives children with special needs a unique opportunity to develop balance, muscle tone, motor skills and self-esteem through therapeutic horseback riding.
www.horseandbuddy.org

Life Experiences
Life Experiences Inc. blends education and training to create and operate businesses that provide fulfilling employment for adults with developmental disabilities, and allow them to function as independent, productive citizens.
www.lifeexperiences.org

Meg’s Smile Foundation
Meg’s Smile Foundation provides “smiles” and support to children suffering serious illnesses and their families by giving the recipient a one-of-a-kind experience created uniquely to their interests.
www.megsmile.org

Military Missions in Action
Military Missions in Action assists veterans and disabled servicemen and women with home modifications, care packages and other resources that allow them to live independently and reduce the strains of PTSD and traumatic brain injury.

Tags: Features, New
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 11/27/2012 - 12:29pm.

Were all votes counted?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 11/17/2012 - 10:46am.

Does anyone know who is currently ahead in the voting? Or where to go to see poll standings?

Submitted by janine cloud (not verified) on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 1:48pm.

I vote for "Team Kristine"

Submitted by Mark - Cary-Page Rotary (not verified) on Thu, 11/15/2012 - 1:20pm.

Cary-Page Rotary has worked with and contributed to 3 out of the 5 organizations, The Carying Place, Life Experiences, and Horse & Buddy. They are ALL in need of all the help we can give them, and ALL do a tremendous job for the kids and adults whose lives they touch.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 11/13/2012 - 10:32am.

Several area Rotary Clubs are backing Life Experiences!!

Submitted by Sharee Liles (not verified) on Tue, 11/13/2012 - 9:15am.

Horse & Buddy is a tremendous program -- not only helping the kids / adults that participate in this great opportunity but also bringing a lot of joy to those that volunteer. Please check out their website, www.horseandbuddy.org

Submitted by Santa (not verified) on Mon, 11/12/2012 - 9:23pm.

Ever think that your child may go before you.How do you give that child a smile for a day knowing their will be no more Christmas?MegSmile Foundation is about giving a smile.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 11/12/2012 - 9:18pm.

Jim and Terri are incredible...

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 11/12/2012 - 9:16pm.

Dallas Cowboys Organization back Meg Smile Foundation

Submitted by Julianne (not verified) on Mon, 11/12/2012 - 2:40pm.

Horse and Buddy is truly an important part of my nephew's life. The motivation for a day with the horse has led to many positive learned behaviors (e.g., finding and putting on shoes) Please vote to keep this great service going!!

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 11/12/2012 - 11:40am.

I voted for Meg's Smiles yesterday and just tried to vote again today. I'm getting a message that says my email address has already been used to vote today when I know it hasn't.

Submitted by Holly Confroy (not verified) on Mon, 11/12/2012 - 11:03am.

The website is not allowing people to vote. It tells us we have already voted for the day when we have not!!!

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 11/12/2012 - 9:05am.

Is there any way to check the current results?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 11/12/2012 - 8:02am.

Hey there. The voting is not working today, monday, Nov 12. It is telling folks that they have already voted when they have not.

Submitted by Anonymous Maureen Reidy (not verified) on Mon, 11/12/2012 - 7:49am.

My Autistic Grandson gets so much joy out of Horse and Buddy. He gets so excited when he realizes where he is. It is such a joy to see.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 11/11/2012 - 1:01pm.

I have been trying to vote for Horse and Buddy. The last time I voted was on Friday. All day Sat and just now I keep getting a message that says the my e-mail address has already been used to vote today and that is not true. How do I vote?

Submitted by Beth C. (not verified) on Sun, 11/11/2012 - 10:57am.

We are trying to vote today and we are receiving messages that we voted already today but we have not? Is there an issue with the voting?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 11/10/2012 - 11:06pm.

I vote for Military Missions In Action. I have assisted on some of their projects for Veterans that have no assistance for home repairs after they come back from Middle East wounded. I have helped build wheel chair ramps and expand door ways for wheel chair access through the house. No Government is currently available for this need. They also help all veterans that have needs.

Submitted by Diane Callan (not verified) on Wed, 11/14/2012 - 10:39am.

MMIA is one of the most outstanding true blue Veterans support organizations out there. They are front and center often times helping those who gave so much and ask for so little. Supporting there mission is a perfect way to say thank you to those who served and in doing so MMIA gets to serve them. Good karma!

Submitted by Lynn (not verified) on Sat, 11/10/2012 - 8:28am.

I began working with Life Experiences almost 4 years ago. The first exposure I had to anyone with a disability was back in the 1970's. I've had the opportunity to be involved with AHRC in New York, Rotary camps for adults with disabilities in NY and Tennessee, and child care centers in Ohio that worked with children with challenges. Cary and Wake County are extremely fortunate to have Life Experiences...it a unique, amazing, uplifting facility where the adults in our community who would otherwise not be contributing members of society, are valued and employed. Please come by Life Experiences and see the incredible people who we are blessed to spend our days with. Thank you, Cary Magazine, for caring about all our citizens.

Submitted by Cary Magazine Editors (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 5:26pm.

Sorry for the voting confusion! The poll now requires your email address, but will allow multiple voters from one home or office to vote on the same day. Please use the poll above (under the Gives Back logo) rather than leaving your choice in the comments. Thanks for participating and best of luck to these worthy organizations!

Submitted by Susan Nadel (not verified) on Mon, 11/12/2012 - 8:51am.

for the last two days when I vote, I get the error message that I have already voted in the last 24 hours! Very unfair! I am voting for horse and buddy. Help!

Submitted by Carolyn Gill (not verified) on Mon, 11/12/2012 - 8:46am.

I voted on Friday with my email address but when I've tried ever since, I get the message that my email address has already voted for the day. There still seems to be some sort of technical error with this method.

Submitted by Peggy Wasley (not verified) on Sun, 11/11/2012 - 8:55am.

I tried to vote for Meg's Smile Foundation on Nov. 10 and Nov. 11 and both days it said that I had already voted which I had not. I guess all the gliches have not been worked out yet. Please register my votes. Thank you.

Submitted by Jane Jones (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 4:52pm.

I vote for Horse and Buggy!

Submitted by Sean Bunn (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 4:18pm.

This fall I got to witness what the folks at Meg's Smile were able to do for a young boy with terminal cancer, and how well they were able to craft something truly remarkable based on a particular passion of his. Regardless of who wins this Cary Magazine contest, know that Jim and Tammy Wasley are doing some jaw-dropping things in honor of Meg, their daughter, who dealt with terminal cancer in such a unique way that she inspired them to give when so many among us may have given up instead. Now that idea is spreading smiles everywhere... it's worth your time to check out some of the amazing things they are doing!

Submitted by Richard dinnis (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 3:06pm.

I vote for Megs Smile Foundation

Submitted by Chris D. (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 2:51pm.

I vote for Horse and Buddy. Is this how you vote?

Submitted by Cary Magazine Editors (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 3:06pm.

Hi Chris, There should be a voting poll underneath the Cary Magazine Gives Back logo. If the results are displayed there instead, it probably means someone on your internet IP address has already voted today. We are looking into ways to make the voting more clear. Thanks for participating! Emily

Submitted by Tracy Cook (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 2:28pm.

I am trying to vote and am unable to. I want to cast a vote for Horse and Buddy. Thank you.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 1:52pm.

Another vote for Meg's Smile Foundation!

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 12:46pm.

I vote Life Experiences

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 12:45pm.

I vote Life Experiences!

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 12:37pm.

Meg's Smile!

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 12:27pm.

i want to vote for www.megsmile.org

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 12:25pm.

Meg Smile Foundation is a blessing for terminally ill kids and their families.Jim and the people who donate their time are amazing!!!

Submitted by Bill Daubenmier (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 11:25am.

Thank you for the opportunity to vote for my favorite Charity and the generous support the winner will receive. I and others that are trying to support Life Experiences in this contest are having problems getting the voting part of the website to appear on the page. Please send me a link that will work every day so LE supporters can vote without frustration. Below is the link I was given to vote. I'm using IE8. http://www.carymagazine.com/features/cary-magazine-gives-back Thanks again for your help and support of our community Organizations. P.S. When I hit save to send this message, the voting block appeared. Very strange and I might add unfair to those supporters not tenacious enough to get this far!

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 11:24am.

Votes for Life Experiences are not registering... and at times appear to register for other charities. the system seems very buggy.

Submitted by Cary Magazine Editors (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 11:11am.

Sorry for the confusion everyone. One vote is allowed per IP address, per day. So only one vote per household or workplace, if all the computers are on the same internet connection. For many of you who aren't able to see the voting poll, it could be because someone on the same IP address has already voted. Thanks so much for participating and please keep trying! Let us know if problems continue.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 10:43am.

Meg’s Smile Foundation

Submitted by Anonymous Jim McGrath (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 10:34am.

Meg's Smile Foundation

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 10:12am.

Horse and Buddy

Submitted by G. Garinger (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 8:48am.

Vote for Life Experiences

Submitted by Patti (not verified) on Fri, 11/09/2012 - 7:14am.

How do you vote for the favorite charity? When I click on the preferred charity, nothing happens.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 11/08/2012 - 10:05pm.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 11/08/2012 - 10:00pm.

Life Experiences

Submitted by Lisa Aube (not verified) on Thu, 11/08/2012 - 8:25pm.

I think Meg's Smile Foundation is wonderful. I followed Meg's story, and think it is wonderful the way her family continues to give back, to support others that are going through a similar challenge.

Submitted by Meghan Muldoon (not verified) on Thu, 11/08/2012 - 7:15pm.

I vote for Horse & Buddy. It is a wonderful organization and a godsend to so many familes.

Submitted by Linda Derricks (not verified) on Thu, 11/08/2012 - 6:32pm.

Horse and Buddy, what an organization! My son who has development delays, a seizure disorder, and speech delays exhibits exhilaration and excitement every time he sees his horse and his friends. You may wonder who his friend are...it is Ms. Nancy and Mr. Larry. Although, we cannot forget Ms. Jessica and her smile she shares with John. Thank you Horse & Buddy for strengthening John's emotional and overall well-being.

Submitted by Mamie (not verified) on Thu, 11/08/2012 - 6:01pm.

ok so I guess I have to leave a comment to vote?

Post new comment

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.